After treatment, we need to make a lot of adjustments and lifestyle changes for lifelong recovery. We face many challenges that put us at high risk for relapse. Developing structure in your daily routine will help the recovery process and get you through difficult situations. There are ways to make the transition to sobriety easier.
Strategies that you can incorporate into your daily routine:
- Join support groups. Keep going to group therapy and support groups during recovery. Many people in these groups are going through the same thing as you. Staying active in support groups gives you an opportunity to form new friendships with sober friends who you can call on when faced with challenges.
- Exercise. A great way to stay sober is to put exercise into your daily routine. Exercising will take care of you physically, emotionally, and mentally and is a great healthy activity to participate in.
- Keep a journal. By writing down your feelings, you can reflect on your success and see how your lifestyle has changed. Writing keeps the mind active and you will have less time to think about using drugs or alcohol.
- Stay active with interests and hobbies. Find new activities that interest you such as walking, joining a gym, participating in a book club, playing sports, or you might be creative and join an art class.
- Time. From the time you wake up, time is essential because it gives you a set plan for the day with little room for your mind to wander. Those of us in recovery often find it comforting that throughout treatment, we do not need to worry about navigating through daily life but instead we can focus solely on our health and well-being.
Make sure the time that was once used abusing drugs or alcohol is filled with fun, healthy hobbies. Talk to new friends in support groups if you are facing challenges. Rebuild broken relationships with family and friends. The lifestyle changes will take a lot of time, but you can stay sober and have fun.
There is hope in recovery
If you or a loved one is suffering from addiction, there is hope in recovery. Addiction is complex, but it is also treatable. Take the first step toward a healthy, fulfilling, lifestyle in recovery and get help today. Asking for help is the first step to a new healthy life in sobriety.
Offering a full range of recovery and mental health services, Valiant Living offers “Expanded Recovery” to enrich our clients’ lives in mind, body, and spirit. Through evidence-based therapy options and the endless adventure of Colorado, Valiant fosters connection, encouraging clients to get connected to themselves, their peers, their families, and their higher power. With the power of recovery, clients are restored to full health and experience life-changing healing. Call us today for more information: 303-536-5463