Sensory and physical changes in middle adulthood are so gradual that most people are not even aware of them while they are happening. There are several changes that men experience in middle adulthood, ranging from minor to life-changing. Those changes include:
- Vision: Vision changes are common in middle adulthood. You may develop vision disorders, including glaucoma, cataracts, fluid buildup, and floating spots.
- Hearing: Noise levels, advancing age, diseases, and genetics are factors that can cause age-related hearing loss as well as communication disorders.
- Taste and smell: Taste buds regenerate at a slower rate in middle-aged adulthood. Additionally, smell receptors begin to deteriorate, which can then lead to changes in both your sense of taste and smell.
- Appearance: Middle-aged men are susceptible to losing or loosening teeth or receding gums. Over time, skin loses moisture, tone, and elasticity, which causes it to sag and wrinkle. Hair color often changes to grey or white, and you may become thinner while also potentially experiencing balding.
- Body composition: Your body’s proportion of muscle to fat increases your chances of becoming obese or experiencing extreme weight loss.
- Skeletal system: Bones become less supple and more brittle, resulting in a loss of density and the potential for the development of osteoporosis or rheumatoid arthritis, as well as an increase in pain or stiffness.
- Sexual Health: Aging, medical conditions, smoking, a lack of exercise, alcohol consumption, stress, depression, and accidents all contribute to declining male vitality or even the development of erectile dysfunction.
Sensory and physical changes in middle adulthood can greatly impact everyday life, but some measures can be taken to increase overall health. It is important to schedule regular head-to-toe check-ups for vision, hearing, dental health, dermatology, cardiovascular health, cholesterol, and prostate health. Eating foods that are rich in vitamins, exercising regularly, and avoiding substance use can improve vision, weight, strength, and joint functions. Sensory and physical changes in the body can be overwhelming. They can be so overwhelming that they impact your self-esteem, mental health, and even your sobriety. Nevertheless, there are ways to stay physically and emotionally healthy no matter what stage of life you may be in. Valiant Living is an all-male treatment facility that offers outpatient programs that give you the tools needed to maintain your physical and mental health. If you or someone you love would like more information about our programs, contact us at (303) 952-5035.